A popular picnic spot in Mysore, Karanji Lake or the Fountain Lake is a beautiful tourist destination that serves as an ideal spot for all those who’re in search of a place surrounded by utmost serenity and tranquility.
It’s a little paradise within the city that boasts the largest aviary in India with over 147 species of migratory birds such as peacocks, egrets, sandpipers, booted warblers, sunbird, painted stork, gray pelican, etc. There is also a waterfall, a museum, and a butterfly park to keep people entertained throughout the time.
It is one of the prominent tourist places in Mysore. Whether you’re a solo traveler, a couple, or traveling with family, you can surely pay a visit to this lake to return home with a bucket full of memories.
Best Mysuru Tours 2023/2024
Immerse yourself in the beauty of Mysore with our exclusive holiday packages. Our knowledgeable partners will take you off the beaten path to discover the hidden gems of this charming city.
Why settle for just one destination? Plan your dream holiday by combining Mysore’s royal grandeur with the tranquil hills of Coorg. Check-out our all-inclusive Mysore & Coorg tour packages.
Things to do at Karanji Lake
- Stroll around the lake to relax, unwind, and feel rejuvenated.
- Bring a picnic basket to create some unforgettable memories with your near and dear ones.
- Try your hand at boating to take a complete round of the lake that covers an area of 90 hectares of land.
- Take your children to the dedicated kid’s corner to let them have the time of their life whilst you’re busy admiring nature.
- Visit the Butterfly Park to spot over 45 species of pretty butterflies. Here you will also notice that the nectar and host plants have been planted within the park to attract more butterflies from different parts of the nation.
- Head to the Regional Museum of Natural History to gain knowledge about the conservation of nature and natural resources. It’s a wonderful place for children to visit and can also be explored by visually challenged students.
Best Time to Visit Karanji Lake
The winter season which starts in October end and continues until February is an ideal time to explore the surroundings of Karanji Lake. At this time, the weather remains the most pleasant with an average temperature ranging from 15 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius, making it the best time of the year for locals as well as tourists to plan a getaway to this amazing location.
Traveller Tips for Karanji Lake
- Don’t carry any kind of plastic with you. It is strictly prohibited.
- Refrain from littering the place. Make sure to collect all your waste in a bag and dispose of it in the bin on your way back home.
- Bring enough drinking water along with some refreshing and quick snacks to keep yourself full all the time.
- In case there is an urge to use the restrooms, you need not worry about anything as there are restrooms available for the convenience of people in the parking area of the lake.
How to Reach Karanji Lake?
Getting to Karanji Lake in Mysore is quite easy. Due to its close proximity to the Mysore Palace, and Chamundeshwari Temple, people can access it the way they want. For your ease, there is local transportation available along with a list of top cab service companies in Mysore from where you can book a cab to commute within the city in your comfort.