Edmuri Waterfalls, also known as Edumuri Falls, is a beautiful cascade located in the district of Mysore in the southern state of Karnataka, India. It is situated amid lush greenery and offers a serene atmosphere for people of all age groups.
The Edmuri Waterfalls is formed by the Kaveri River, which flows through the rocky terrain of the Western Ghats. It is about 27 km away from the main city and is a popular tourist destination in Mysore for both locals and visitors alike.
To reach the falls, you have to trek through a path surrounded by trees, streams, and rocky terrain. The trek is about 3 km long and is moderately challenging, making it suitable for beginners as well as experienced trekkers. As you approach the falls, you will be greeted by the sound of cascading water and a breathtaking view of the waterfall.
The waterfall is about 20 meters high and cascades into a pool below, which is ideal for swimming and taking a refreshing dip. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic by the waterfall, relax in the tranquil surroundings, and take in the beauty of the waterfall.
Best Mysuru Tours 2023/2024
Learn about Mysore’s history and heritage with our exclusive Mysore tour packages. Our partners will take you to the city’s monuments, palaces, and temples, and tell you their amazing stories.
Got a few more days to spare, get set for an exhilarating journey through the royal city of Mysore and the picturesque hills of Coorg with our all-inclusive Mysore Coorg vacation packages.
What to do at Edumuri Waterfalls?
There are several activities you can do at Edmuri Waterfalls in Mysore to make the most of your visit. Here are some of the top things to do:
- Trekking: The trek to Edmuri Waterfalls is an adventure in itself, with a 3-kilometer trek through rocky terrain and lush greenery. Trekking to the falls can be a fun and rewarding experience, and it offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Swimming: The pool below the waterfall is a great spot to cool off and take a refreshing swim. The water is clear and clean, making it safe for swimming. However, visitors are advised to exercise caution while swimming and follow the safety guidelines.
- Picnicking: Edmuri Waterfalls is an ideal spot for a picnic with family or friends. The serene surroundings, the sound of the waterfall, and the lush greenery provide a peaceful ambiance for a picnic.
- Photography: The waterfall and its surrounding landscape offer excellent opportunities for photography. The picturesque scenery, lush greenery, and cascading water make for stunning photographs.
- Birdwatching: The area around the waterfall is home to several bird species, making it an ideal spot for birdwatching. Visitors can spot several species of birds, including kingfishers, drongos, and sunbirds.
- Nature walks: Take a leisurely stroll around the area to soak in the beauty of nature. The lush greenery, the sound of the waterfall, and the fresh air make for a refreshing nature walk.
Overall, Edmuri Waterfalls offers a perfect blend of adventure and relaxation, making it a must-visit attraction in Mysore.
Traveler Tips for Edumuri Waterfalls
- Wear comfortable shoes that can help you maintain a strong grip.
- Be mindful of the wildlife creatures. Make sure to maintain a certain distance from them.
- Always carry snacks and drinking water with you. It’s a remote area with limited facilities. Hence, we advise everyone to have their essentials with them every time.
- Do not litter or damage the place. As a responsible traveler, you must respect the environment and dispose of all the waste in the bins on your way back home.
Best Time to Visit the Edumuri Waterfalls
Anytime between March to August is ideal to head towards the Edumuri Waterfalls. Not only this time is great to take a refreshing plunge in its base pool but is also considered best for all types of water activities as the level of the water is at its low.
In case you cannot visit it during the summer months, try planning your getaway during the monsoon season i.e., from July to September. Due to the continuous rain, this waterfall looks spectacular, giving you a chance to capture its unmissable beauty with your camera. However, beware of the landslides as they can prove to be really dangerous for you.
How to Reach Edumuri Waterfalls?
Located in the village of Edumuri which is approximately 25 km away from the center of the city, Edumuri Waterfalls can be easily accessed by people via road, bus, and train.
For your convenience, the Karnataka Government runs various state-owned buses from Mysore to Nanjangud, a small town lying at a distance of 10 km from Edumuri Waterfalls. After reaching there, you can book a taxi from the list of top taxi vendors in Mysore to further access your desired destination.
Please note that the road that takes you to the Edumuri Waterfalls is quite narrow and can be steep and uneven in some places, so it is highly recommended to hire an experienced chauffeur from the listed taxi vendors who is familiar with the road conditions.